Thursday, December 23, 2010

Toilet Rating System

Finding a decent public toilet in Korea can be tricky, and I've devised my own rating system for those I do find. Keep in mind Korea is not a third world country, but I suppose toilets just aren't a priority. Restaurants and shops don't have their own facilities, instead you must go out and find a public toilet, usually in the building hallway or on the first floor of an officetel. These are not usually well stocked because no one business is responsible for them.

One star: Stall with a western toilet. Squatters are quite common, but not the easiest to use. Especially when combined with alcohol.

Two stars: Western toilet with tissue. Often there is no paper in public bathrooms, so I've taken to carrying tissues in my purse. On the issue of tissue it's typical to have one dispenser outside of several stalls. If you forget to take some, you're out of luck once you get in. Tissue is also thrown away in small bins next to the toilet. Do not flush your tissue!

Three stars: Western toilet with tissue and soap. Wearing shoes inside the house is dirty, but using soap is not seen as necessary. I consider this to be the trifecta. Hard to find, but everything I need without supplementing with my own supplies. My school toilets are three stars.

Four stars: Western toilet with tissue, soap, and towels. By now I'm used to just air drying or wiping my hands on my pants.

Five stars: Western toilet, tissue, soap, towels, and hot water. Rare, but beautiful. I understand that heating water can be expensive, but my fingers turn numb and stay numb because it's so cold outside and in my school. The Five Star Toilet is hard to find. I think I found one in a Starbucks once, but they are few and far between.

My home toilet is a Five Star, but only if I turn on my water heater...

2 comments:

  1. When did you ever find a squatter with tissue outside of the Seoul subway? I'll give that half a star, if it exists.

    ReplyDelete