Sunday, January 30, 2011

Korean Peculiarities: Frozen Pipes

For the second time this winter, I have no hot water. Literally, no water. Turning the faucet to the cold side gives me icy water, but as soon as I inch it over to hot, nothing. The water stops flowing. Sometimes a few drops will sputter out, but generally no water. This is strange for two reasons. Firstly, Korea uses ondal heating, which is a system of hot water pipes crisscrossing under the floor. This hot water works. At least I have heat. Secondly, the cold water is still flowing though the pipe to my faucet. How is only the hot water pipe frozen? I would think that would remain unfrozen longer than the cold water pipe.

Frozen pipes are sadly common. At any given time, I generally have at least one friend without heat. My co-teacher was without for nearly three weeks. Night temperatures can be as low as -20 degrees Celsius (-4F) and it hasn't really been above freezing for a while. Logically, a country with cold winters would insulate pipes, in order to prevent freezing. But not Korea. One more time for emphasis: Korea does not insulate their pipes. The last time my hot water wasn't working, my boss came to fix it because the wait list for a repairman was more than a week.

We find ways to do without. We bum off our friends. I could shower at the gym, but given that I won't even wear shorts, public nudity is not an option. So instead I leave the comfort of my apartment and walk to a friend's place, which is forever away when you're freshly showered and walking in the cold. Pajama parties are coming back into fashion. And my favorite coping method is the Whore's Bath, also known as a gas station shower or a sink shower. Now that I've learned the term 'whore's bath,' I find every opportunity to use it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Emily that is terrible. I would definitely not go back to that school unless they give you a decent apartment. Does the heat at least work?

    ReplyDelete