Monday, January 31, 2011

Why I really want a freaking dryer right about now

I need to be packed for China in fewer than 24 hours, yet I won't have dry clothes. I washed a load this morning, and set it out on the rack, leaving my heat on while I was at work. I came back tonight and not even the t-shirts are dry. I feel I'm going to be sitting on my floor with a hairdryer at 4am tomorrow while I desperately try to get the clothes dry enough to pack.

Many Koreans do without dryers. In the beginning this was a-okay with me, since I'm a fan of air-drying. My apartment came with a good sized drying rack, and just enough room in the back patio area for it to be set up. With the summer sun and large window, my clothes dried within a day. However, 'summer' came. I use quotes because in my mind, rain doesn't happen in summer. Every other day of the year, yes. For weeks at a time? Yes. With darkness and gloom? Boy, I miss it. But it does not rain in July and August. Those are the vitamin D days. Not so in Korea. Summer is rainy season. And that brings moisture and humidity. Drying started to take longer. And longer.

The weather cooled down for a pleasant autumn. I thoroughly enjoyed all three weeks of our beautiful fall weather. Drying time was down to a respectable amount of time. Then 'winter' came. The quotes are used this time to allow the reader to know this is not winter. It's living in an ice cube tray. Clothes don't dry, they freeze. I put a load in this afternoon before leaving for work and came home to find it in a frozen lump in the bottom of the washer. I had to move my drying rack to my main room because my clothes would take three or more days to dry. Now, if I need to get to my dresser, I move the rack. Then when I want to go to bed, I move the rack again.
Cozy, right?


In the main room, with the heat on, they dry within two days. This still takes careful forethought, planning for what clothes will be needed in the upcoming week. I don't do that. Because it is such a hassle, I wait until my laundry basket is full and cram it all in the washer, sometimes not even bothering to sort darks and lights. Sometimes my lack of planning results in my having to do two loads, which is too many clothes for the rack to handle. Then it looks like my closet has thrown up all over the walls because I need to hang things from hooks.

When my parents came to visit, their hotel had a dryer. I did not take advantage of it and am kicking myself. I wonder if the desk staff would notice if I just went in now and used it. Maybe they'd think I'm a guest. With that dryer, I could rule the world. Warm, fluffy clothes can do a lot for a person.

5 comments:

  1. I can send you an iron and ironing-board if you'd like...

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. if it gets REALLY bad, you can buy a tabletop clothes dryer that would fit in your apartment. They can be a bit expensive, but it sure would save time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only real thing I miss here is having warm fluffy blankets straight out of the dryer.

    I've heard ondal heating is amazing for drying clothes. I know you don't have a lot of room but put your clothes directly on the floor and I think they dry in no time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, I find laying the clothes on the floor and maxing out the heating helps speed up the drying process faster. I've managed to get jeans washed and dry within 24 hours. Worst case scenario, pack the clothes in bags and dry them when you get to the hotel (although they may get a little musty depending on how damp they are).

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I not think of using the ondal to it's full potential? This is brilliant! Now I wonder if I can use it to make a grilled cheese sandwich...

    ReplyDelete